You will gain a basic understanding of:
- the human skeleton: bones, joints and relationships between them
- planes of motion, such as “frontal”, “transverse” and “sagittal”, as well as joint action, such as “flexion”, “extension”, “pronation”, “supination” and so on
- muscles, their locations in the body and their functions
- muscle contraction types “concentric/eccentric/isometric” as well as terms such as “reciprocal inhibition” and linking them to Pilates repertoire
- concepts of “weak/strong” and “tight/loose” muscles and why we may want to challenge these ideas
This workshop is designed to be an introduction to the skeletal and muscular systems. It is not suitable for those with anatomy knowledge who seek to deepen their understanding in a particular area of anatomy and physiology.